Starting off as a place to show my 2000AD-themed projects, its mutated into a diary of what i'm up to in the SF & Fantasy modelling hobby. And the odd rant, review and ramble.
Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Sandtrooper - weathering pt1
Okay, thought i'd show you how i'm going about things and i'll be showing you what i did with the shoulder bells:
I mix up on a paper plate a splodge of Burnt Umber and a splodge of Raw Umber.
I then dip a torn off bit of sponge into the Burnt Umber and heavily mottle it all over the armour.
I also dip into the Raw Umber if i want a dark area every so often:
All the guides tell you to wait 5 mins but i've found that far too long on smaller areas like this, and it takes a heck of a lot of rubbing to remove it.
I leave it for about half that, then start to remove it by wiping in a circular fashion with an old flannel. Its messy at first, but as i continue, thicker areas are left and i tends to leave them as and when they appear, adding to the natural form to things:
When i've got to a point where i think the encrustations and weathering are nearly thee, i stop - as seen on the bell on the right:
Trouble is, i've this nasty smeary Burnt Umber all over. So i remove it with a clean bit of kitchen towel. Which leaves my with the left bell - far, far too white areas comparec to the rest.
To get round that, and blend everything in, i've found that lightly dabbing at the armour with a non- washed out, still heavily laden flannel, i get a nice, subtle discolouring:
Born '62, growing old but not up. Ex-Projectionist.
Fan of decent film, especially 50's SF, Universal and Hammer horrors, the shorts of Laurel & Hardy. Love the British boys comics i grew up on, special effects in any form, history, mythology, fantasy and cheese.