Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Thrill Power rising

Happy to inform that two new projects, owing much to the spirit of the original purpose of this here Blog, will be starting soon. And maybe a third.

Monday, 29 December 2014

The Glottkin - progess

Okay, once i'd done the skin tones for the Big Fella, i went in with a bone colour for the horns all over his body:

I then washed then with Burnt Umber to finish them off, dealt with the fur he seems to be growing up top, then started to turn my attention to the detail areas, which are divided into three groups: skin rips, boils/pustles and skulls imbedded into the skin:

The boils/pustles i've picked out in Screaming Skull then washed with a crimson wash and will be returning too soon to finish off. I've still to finish blocking in a lot of the skin rip areas with a flesh tone, but have started putting gore into them on other. Ditto the hidden skulls.
There's also the odd tentacle here and there, like this one above his buttocks. Incidently, he comes with a loin cloth to hid his cheeks but i've decided not to use it as (A) why would such a grotesque creature be modest over his bum? (B) Its a the back, so would rarely be seen, (C) its a lovely sculpt and i could use it as a banner on something else:

You can also see i've made a start on the maw that he has for a right hand, and i've started on this detail on his right thigh, which i'm having as a group of three eyes looking out:

And, WIP on the Wizard and Warrior to show that i haven't forgotten them:

Sunday, 28 December 2014

The Glottkin - colour choices

As the Primer was drying, i had to decide on colour choices for the three brothers.
That was pretty easy - just lately i've been using a pallid flesh for my Nurgle beasties and greenish armour for Nurgle armour:

I wanted to move away from that to stop any sort of sameiness, so going green for the Big Guy:

I'm using the pallid for the Warrior, who'll be having bare metal for his armour:

And the Wizard i'm doing his black robes first as there's more of them than his skin:

Saturday, 27 December 2014

The Glottkin - starting

First up, merry Christmas to you.
That is, if you're reading this - haven't been here for a long while it seems.
But, with me covering all my scratchbuilds now on my Mr E Models Facebook page and the few kits i have made being the subject of Youtube videos, i am posting stuff online, just not on this page.
Anyway, i got this new kit for Christmas and thought i'd feature it here.
Even though its the biggest by far IP kit Games Workshop has yet put out, it was really quick to put together - a wee bit on Christmas Day, some more work on it on Boxing Day, and half an hour this morning and it was done.
Once assembled, two things stand out aside from the sheer bulk of it: how,as usual, the horrible paintjob on the box does the kit no favours at all by pretty much hiding all the lovely detail, and how shocking the part fit is in places. Quite a bit of filler was needed, both to cover gaps, but also to cover up some shocking seamlines:

The two brothers of the big fella were much better, the multiple parts going together very well, making for two excellent figures:

And here's where i am with him today - the brothers plonked on with Blu Tac, ditto the fiddly accessories, ready for priming then removal for seperate painting: